Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Maus


This panel, from page 32 of Maus, was my favorite panel because it was the first time that I realized this wasn't going to be a normal story about the life of a family of mice. Up until this point, it was easy to identify with what the mice were going through because I had read stories about and seen people get married and have children before. However, although I have read about the Holocaust, that does not come close to being able to say I know what the people who went through the Holocaust had to deal with. I felt really bad when I read this panel because the mice seem intrigued by the swastika and what the Nazi's are doing to their town, but they have no idea about the horror that awaits them. When I read this panel, I wanted to be able to tell the mice to run away because I knew what all of the Nazis would do the Jews, but they did not know. The mice are all looking out the window like the flag is some kind of tourist attraction, but they have no idea what awaits them. It made me realize that none of the people in the Holocaust had any idea what would happen to them and that makes me feel very sad because they had no way of escaping it if they didn't know they needed to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment